Local divorce representation you deserve
Divorce is a highly emotional event that nobody wants to go through. A divorce affects many aspects of a person’s life, from finances to assets to child rearing. The effects can be long-lasting.
A divorce can be handled the right way or it can be handled poorly, causing delays and increased expenses. Divorce mediation and coming to an agreement peacefully is one of the best and quickest ways to obtain a divorce.There’s often a lot at stake in a divorce, especially if you have been married for a long time and have children or significant assets.
When you choose the Waukesha divorce attorneys from Karp & Iancu, S.C., you get experience and skill. With the right family law attorney on your side, you can get a favorable outcome. Don’t leave money on the table or lose out on your rights.
Property division is often a contentious issue in a divorce, especially when there are significant assets involved. Under Wisconsin law, a couple’s marital property, including retirement plans and pension plans, are subject to a 50/50 split under the state’s community property laws. Businesses may also be split, complicating matters further. Separate property, gifts, and inheritances are typically not subject to split.
When the couple cannot agree on how to divide the property, the court will find ways to try to divide the property equally. The property division may be altered based on circumstances such as:
- Any prenuptial agreements in place
- The length of the marriage
- Each party’s contribution to the marriage
- Whether or not one of the parties has substantial assets is not subject to division
- The age and health of the parties
- The earning capacity of each party
- Whether either party wants the family home
- Any tax consequences
How Much Does a Divorce Cost?
The average cost of a divorce in Wisconsin is roughly $10,000 to $11,000. This includes filing costs and attorney fees. However, the costs can be much higher based on various factors. For example, if there are children involved, disputes over custody matters and alimony can cause this cost to increase to $30,000 or more.
High asset divorces or those with business assets could see their divorce costs exceed $100,000. The main factors that can increase the cost of a Wisconsin divorce are:
- Minor children
- One spouse is planning to relocate with minor children
- Situations in which one spouse has a significantly higher income than the other
- Disagreement on property and asset division
- Having a business involved (owned by one or both spouses)
Some couples try to lower the costs involved by handling their divorce case on their own. This may be viable for simple cases in which there are no children and few assets, but there are still risks involved. These risks often outweigh the costs of attorney’s fees, so you should opt for a lawyer no matter what. If money is an issue, work with your lawyer to see what types of financing and payment plans are available.
Reasons to Hire a Divorce Attorney in Waukesha
Is the DIY approach right for you? Probably not. If you have a simple case in which you and your spouse can agree on everything (which is rare), then you may be able to move forward with ease and represent yourself. But for the most part, you should count on hiring a lawyer. Here’s why:
- Come to an agreement. If you and your spouse are divorcing, then it’s likely that you two have trouble seeing eye to eye. That’s why having a lawyer on your side is so important. Your lawyer knows how to negotiate and can help you come to an agreement quickly. A lawyer can also help you if your spouse is trying to coerce you to sign an agreement you’re not so sure about.
- Save time. Without a lawyer on your side, you could spend many months on your own running in circles. You may forget about deadlines. You may not know how to proceed. A divorce lawyer can expedite the process and get your divorce finalized much more quickly than you could on your own.
- Reduce stress. Divorce is stressful; in fact, it’s one of the most stressful events you could go through, besides the death of a loved one. While lawyers are not therapists, they can take your emotional needs into account and find ways to reduce stress. They will address your concerns and take care of all the paperwork so you can focus on taking care of yourself.
- Know your legal rights. Do you know what you are entitled to receive under Wisconsin law? Probably not. You may understand the basics, but some cases can get complex and there’s a lot more you need to know. If paternity is even a question, an experienced lawyer can inform you of your legal rights so that you receive your fair share.
- Fight for your parental rights. Among those rights we just discussed are parental rights. If you and your spouse have children together, child custody will be a huge part of the divorce process. A divorce lawyer’s guidance can help you maintain your relationship with your child and get you the best outcome.
- Divorce Appeals Process: If you or your spouse need to appeal any divorce rulings, an experienced attorney will be crucial to maintaining your rights and keeping your outcomes as favorable as possible.
Some law firms offer other benefits. For example, at Karp & Iancu, S.C., we provide more than just a legal team who are family law experts. We have access to a network of experts who can work with us to resolve your divorce case, such as psychologists, marriage counselors, property appraisers, and accountants.
When you partner with a divorce attorney at Karp & Iancu, you get: