Call Now (414) 453-0800
David Iancu and his staff are top notch professionals. I would recommend David Iancu to anyone who is going through a divorce.
Harmony R.
David is a great listener and very sharp. Most of all, he knows the law and examines every opportunity to defend his client.
Talyia C.
I can't say enough about David's attentive demeanor through the highs and lows associated with complex divorce issues.
Laurence S.
contact us Free & Confidential Consultation
The results you need.

How To Get Your Marriage Annulled

An annulment is different than divorce in that with an annulment you are completely voiding the marriage, as though it had never taken place at all. In these situations, you would want to reach out to an experienced, local lawyer for help with your case. Our attorneys at Karp & Iancu have been helping clients for over 45 years and would be happy to help you navigate your annulment case. We can also help you determine whether you should file for a divorce or for an annulment.

Reasons for Annulment

When looking to annul your marriage, it is important to remember that to have a legitimate case to annul your marriage, the marriage would have had to be illegal from the beginning. In other words, It’s a marriage that was, for any reason, not covered by law.

Your marriage may be null if it falls under any of the following grounds:

  • One partner could not consent because of mental capacity, age, or alcohol or drug use.
  • The spouse was sixteen or seventeen years old and didn’t have parental consent.
  • The marriage was otherwise illegal by state law.

If you’re not sure whether your marriage meets any of these grounds for annulment, contact our local attorneys right away. We’ll review your case and help you determine whether you’re eligible for an annulment.

The Annulment Process in Wisconsin

Once you’ve decided that you’re eligible for annulment, you’ll need to seek your annulment through different avenues than divorce, since you’re effectively saying that the marriage didn’t happen.

To file for annulment, you’ll begin with a petition for annulment filed in the county you or your spouse reside in. On this petition, you’ll list your information, your spouse’s information, and any necessary information about your children, if you have any. You’ll also need to state on what grounds you’re filing for annulment, so be sure to discuss your grounds for annulment with your attorney.

Once you’ve given your petition to the county clerk, you’ll then serve the papers to your spouse, which the clerk or your lawyer can help you complete. Once you and your spouse are both aware of the petition, you’ll have a hearing, where the judge will decide whether to grant an annulment.

Seek Out a Milwaukee Attorney for Your Annulment

When you’re seeking an annulment, you’ll need to gather evidence and be prepared to defend your grounds for annulment. Unfortunately, that can be difficult to do alone. Our award-winning attorneys at Karp & Iancu can help you determine the grounds for your annulment and prepare the evidence to help you prove your case.

If you are ready to seek an annulment, you can reach us by giving us a call or completing the form below.

CONTACT US FOR A Free Consultation


or Call (414) 453-0800
Location &contact

Milwaukee/Tosa – 933 N Mayfair Rd, Suite 300, Milwaukee, WI 53226

Fox Point – 8651 N. Port Washington Rd. Suite A, Fox Point, WI 53217

Downtown Milwaukee – 1433 N Water St, Floor 4 – Suite 428, Milwaukee, WI 53202

Menomonee Falls – 11414 W Park Pl – Suite 202, Milwaukee, WI 53224

Brookfield – 200 S. Executive Drive, Suite 101, Brookfield, WI 53005

Waukesha – N19 W24400 Riverwood Dr Suite 350, Waukesha, WI 53188

Kenosha – 1213 55th Street Suite 101 Kenosha, WI 53140

Appleton – 5497 W Waterford Ln Suite E Appleton, WI 54913

West Bend18 E Washington St. Suite B West Bend, WI 53090

Madison – 811 E Washington Ave. Suite 418, Madison, WI 53703

PHONE (414) 453-0800 FAX (414) 453-8282
Connect With Us
  • Facebook Icon
  • Youtube Icon
  • linked-in Icon
Request a free consultation Request a free consultation


  • no pressure
  • no hidden fees
or Call (414) 453-0800