Start live chat with our team?
Call Now (414) 453-0800
David Iancu and his staff are top notch professionals. I would recommend David Iancu to anyone who is going through a divorce.
Harmony R.
David is a great listener and very sharp. Most of all, he knows the law and examines every opportunity to defend his client.
Talyia C.
I can't say enough about David's attentive demeanor through the highs and lows associated with complex divorce issues.
Laurence S.
contact us Free & Confidential Consultation
The results you need.

Child Support in Wisconsin

Raising kids can be expensive, and your children will need support, financially and emotionally, during and after the divorce. Our child support attorneys can help make sure you’re getting the payments you need for your children.

After a divorce, it’s not just the spouses who are affected by the process, but the children as well. The children are likely to be affected by the proceedings in some way, whether it be having to change schools, move homes or anything that alters their normal daily lives.

What doesn’t change, however, is the fact that your children need financial support to be cared for. Child support can help the custodial parent take care of the children and make sure they get the care they need. As such, it’s important to fight back if you believe your spouse will avoid paying child support or may not pay the full amount.

With a child support lawyer from Karp & Iancu on your side, you’ll have a better chance to fight for the support you need. Your children should receive the full amount required by law so you and your lawyer will need to take action to ensure this.

Calculating Child Support

Calculating your child support in Wisconsin is often not complicated as Wisconsin has set amounts dependent on the number of children you have. Typically, the support is calculated based on a percentage of income by the noncustodial parent. Our lawyers can help make sure you receive the support your children need. Child support percentages in Wisconsin start at 17 percent for one child, 25 percent for two children, and it may be as high as 34 percent for five or more children.

If you have two children and you have custody of them, your former spouse will likely pay 25 percent of their income to help you support your children. If they make $2,500 per month, then they would pay $625 per month in child support.

Enforcement of Child Support Payments

Unfortunately, you may have already had some trouble getting your child support payments. Your spouse may simply be refusing to pay the amount they’re responsible for paying. Fortunately, you have options to seek the payments you’re owed.

Typically, income withholding is the method many people use to get their child support paid. In this situation, the noncustodial parent will have a certain amount of their paycheck withheld by their employer. This money will then be sent to the family. That way, they don’t have to worry about withdrawing and sending the amount themselves.

However, some people may under-work or refuse to work to avoid paying for their child support. If they’re continuously refusing to work, the court may look at whether they’re able to work and what the circumstances of their employment are. From there, they may enforce your child support payments to help you get the payments you need for your children.

Your Child Support Order May Change

Keep in mind as well that a genuine change in circumstances can affect your child support order. For example, you may have been divorced for a few years, but now your former spouse has been injured in an accident. They’re no longer able to work, which means they’re no longer able to provide the same amount of child support they once did.

In these cases, they may discuss the issue with the judge, showing the court that their circumstances have changed, which means that their agreement needs to be altered. If the judge agrees, the agreement will then be modified for these changes.

What’s Next?

It can be painful to part ways with your spouse, and your children will feel that change too. It’s a difficult situation, but your children will need that financial support from the noncustodial parent. As such, you’ll need to fight back for them.

1. How to set up a no-pressure, no cost attorney consultation

Reach out to us today by giving us a call or fill out the form at the bottom of this page to set up a free, one-hour consultation with one of our family law mediation attorneys. Our attorneys will calculate the support you should receive and help you fight for it.

2. Learn more about our award-winning attorneys

When evaluating and deciding on the right family law attorney in the Greater Milwaukee Area, it’s important to find one who is transparent, compassionate, and knowledgeable; traits that all of our attorneys value.

CONTACT US FOR A Free Consultation


or Call (414) 453-0800
Location &contact

Milwaukee/Tosa – 933 N Mayfair Rd, Suite 300, Milwaukee, WI 53226

(414) 928-2861

Fox Point (by Appt) – 8651 N. Port Washington Rd. Suite A, Fox Point, WI 53217

(414) 240-1835

Downtown Milwaukee (by Appt) – 1433 N Water St, Floor 4 – Suite 428, Milwaukee, WI 53202

(414) 485-0191

Menomonee Falls (by Appt) – 11414 W Park Pl – Suite 202, Milwaukee, WI 53224

(414) 310-7075

Brookfield (by appt) – 200 S. Executive Drive, Suite 101, Brookfield, WI 53005

(262) 244-5109

Waukesha (by appt) – N19 W24400 Riverwood Dr Suite 350, Waukesha, WI 53188

(262) 226-4323
PHONE (414) 453-0800 FAX (414) 453-8282
Connect With Us
  • Facebook Icon
  • Youtube Icon
  • linked-in Icon
Request a free consultation Request a free consultation


  • no pressure
  • no hidden fees
or Call (414) 453-0800