Local divorce representation you deserve
The breakup of a marriage can be one of the most challenging times in your life. Even when it is for the best, it can have negative impacts years after. You can count on Karp & Iancu, S.C. family law attorneys to provide caring support and trusted legal representation, successfully guiding you through Wisconsin divorce proceedings.
With experience successfully representing clients in over 10,000 cases, our Madison divorce attorneys act as a strong legal ally on your side. We are dedicated to getting you the best possible outcome and the maximum amount you are entitled to in a divorce order or settlement.
Common Types of Cases Our Madison Divorce Attorney Represents
According to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS), more than 15,000 couples throughout the state file for divorce each year. Marriage can end for a variety of reasons and often have major impacts on both parties in the aftermath. To ensure you are protected, get Karp & Iancu, S.C. on your side.
Our Madison divorce attorney has the legal skill needed to guide you through the process and ensure your best interests are protected. Check out our guide on filing for divorce in Wisconsin, which provides all the latest and most relevant information. In it, you will find in depth descriptions on the common types of divorce cases we handle. These include:
- Uncontested divorce: This is when both parties agree to getting a divorce and the terms surrounding the end of the marriage.
- DIY divorce: In an uncontested divorce, where there are no serious issues that need to be resolved between the parties, you may opt to perform most tasks on your own, with our Madison divorce attorney providing limited guidance and access to the appropriate forms.
- Contested divorce: In this type of divorce, one of the parties is opposed to the breakup, refuses to cooperate in the process, or disputes the terms involved.
- Mediated divorce: By guiding you and your spouse in reaching mutual agreements on important issues, this option can save you time and money in court costs and attorneys fees.
- Collaborative divorce: This is another option that involves divorce negotiations, this time between you, your spouse, and both of your attorneys. It protects your privacy by allowing you to reach a settlement without airing disputes or personal information in court.
Important issues When Getting A Divorce In Madison, Wisconsin
In any divorce, there are certain issues under the Wisconsin Statutes that must be resolved before a final court order can be granted. At Karp & Iancu, S.C., our Madison divorce attorney identifies those relevant in your case and advises you on how state laws apply. It is our job to make sure your parental rights are protected.
If you feel the divorce judgment is unfavorable and would like to appeal you can also reach out to us for help. If you signed a prenuptial agreement and want to make sure that it is followed, give us a call. Sometimes a restraining order is required for the safety of you and your children. We can help make sure that order is enforced and everything is recorded to aid in the divorce process.
Division of Marital Property and Assets
In Wisconsin, marital property is divided evenly between the spouses. It includes:
- Homes, land, and rental or vacation properties;
- Cars, boats, and other recreational vehicles;
- Household furnishings, artwork or antiques;
- Personal belongings and collectibles;
- Stocks and shares in businesses;
- Pension benefits and money in bank accounts.
Spousal Maintenance and Alimony
Spousal support during Wisconsin divorce proceedings and ongoing alimony payments in the aftermath help you maintain your marital standard of living while adjusting to living on a reduced income. You may be entitled to these payments in the following situations:
- If you make significantly less than your spouse;
- If you sacrificed your own career or education for the sake of the marriage;
- When it is used to offset marital property division, such as receiving payments in exchange for your share of the family home;
- If your spouse squandered assets.
If there is any question of paternity make sure you ask the skilled attorneys at Karp & Iancu, S.C. how to proceed.
Child Custody, Visitation, and Support
Child custody in Wisconsin refers to the right to make legal decisions on your child’s behalf regarding important matters, such as schooling, medical care, religious upbringing and even relocation. Physical placement refers to the amount of time they spend in your home and rights regarding visitation. Factors a judge will consider in determining these arrangements include:
- The role each parent plays in the child’s life;
- Their ability to provide the nurturing and support the child needs;
- Their willingness to cooperate with each other in implementing a parenting plan;
- Issues such as accusations of domestic violence or alcohol abuse, which could put the child at risk.
Once placement is determined, the court will consider the income of both parents in determining the amount of child support that should be paid.
How Much Does A Divorce In Madison Cost?
At Karp & Iancu, S.C., we know that going through a divorce can cause serious financial difficulties. As experienced Madison divorce attorneys, we believe in being upfront in regards to how much a divorce costs in Wisconsin and aim at keeping our fees reasonable.
In any divorce case, there are standard court costs associated with filing a divorce petition and other relevant legal documents through the Dane County Family Court. This is in addition to attorney fees. The total amount you pay will depend on the type of divorce you are filing and the amount of time it takes in resolving differences. Generally, prices start at $599 for a DIY divorce and go up to $2,999 or more in more contested cases, depending on the time and effort required.
Contact our office to discuss the financial details in your particular situation and the various options we offer in regards to types of divorce and prices. You can count on us to provide excellent service and to help you get the best possible results in your case, while doing everything we can to keep your costs low.
When you partner with a divorce attorney at Karp & Iancu, you get: