Local divorce representation you deserve
At Karp & Iancu, S.C., our West Bend divorce lawyers are experienced, solutions-driven advocates for our clients. As an award-winning family law firm, we know that ending a marriage is hard—and our legal team is here to make the divorce process as smooth and efficient as possible. If you are preparing for a divorce in Washington County, we can help. Call our West Bend law office at (262) 592-5006 to set up a strictly confidential consultation with a top-rated Wisconsin divorce attorney.
An Overview of the Divorce Laws in Wisconsin
Are you preparing for a divorce in Washington County? If so, it is crucial that you have a general understanding of the divorce process in Wisconsin. Here are three key things to know about our state’s divorce laws:
- Residency Requirement: There is a residency requirement to file for divorce in Wisconsin. In order to be eligible to file for divorce in the state, at least one spouse must have lived here for a minimum of six months. Further, you should be a resident of the county that you were filing for divorce in for a minimum of 30 days.
- No-Fault Grounds for Divorce: Neither spouse has to prove that the other did anything “wrong” in order to get a divorce in Wisconsin. The state has a no-fault divorce statute—meaning you can file for divorce on the grounds that the marriage is irretrievably broken.
- Community Property State: Wisconsin is one of nine community property jurisdictions in the United States. Under Wisconsin’s community property laws, a divorcing couple’s marital assets are presumed to be equally (50-50) owned.
We Help Clients With the Full Range of Family Law Matters
Before a divorce can be finalized in Wisconsin, a married couple needs to resolve all pertinent family law issues. At Karp & Iancu, S.C., our West Bend divorce lawyers have the skills and legal experience to advise clients with the full spectrum of family law issues. No matter the nature of your divorce, we will protect your rights. Along with other family law matters, our West Bend divorce lawyers can assist you with:
- Property Division: Property division is typically one of the most contentious issues in divorce—particularly for high net worth couples and/or couples that own complex assets. Our West Bend property division attorney has deep experience helping clients navigate Wisconsin’s community property laws. If you have any questions about asset distribution or debt distribution, our family law team is here as a resource.
- Spousal Support (Alimony): Following a divorce, the financially advantaged person may be required to make ongoing payments (spousal support) to their former partner. Wisconsin has complex alimony laws. The amount and duration of support are always determined on a case-by-case basis, with close consideration to the specific circumstances. To learn more, please contact our West Bend spousal support attorney today.
- Child Custody, Visitation, and Support: For parents of young kids, ending a marriage is especially difficult. Our West Bend divorce lawyers help parents with all aspects of their separation, including child custody, child visitation, and child support. If you have questions about the Wisconsin best interests of the child standard, the Wisconsin child support guidelines, or any related matter, we are more than ready to help.
Our Family Law Firm Handles All Types of Divorce in Washington County, WI
Getting divorced is never easy—even when both spouses are on reasonably good terms and feel that it is the right decision. Most people want an amicable, efficient, and cost-effective resolution to their divorce. Our West Bend family lawyer helps clients with all types of divorce cases. No matter the circumstances you are currently going through, we are here for you. Types of divorce includes:
- Uncontested Divorce: You and your spouse have a right to get a no-fault, uncontested divorce in Wisconsin. To do so, you will need to reach a settlement on all relevant matters, including property division and child custody. You can stay out of court and our West Bend uncontested divorce lawyers can handle the rest.
- Divorce Mediation: You may be able to reach a settlement through a divorce mediation. In Wisconsin, mediation is a non-binding, non-adversarial form of structured negotiations. It is an effective option for divorcing couples that want a settlement but still need to work through some key issues. Our West Bend divorce mediation attorney can help.
- Collaborative Divorce: Wisconsin has a collaborative divorce process to help separating couples find an amicable solution. Collaborative divorce is more comprehensive than mediation—it is also strictly confidential. Contact our West Bend collaborative divorce lawyer to learn more.
- Contested Divorce: Not every divorce case can be settled—at least not initially. If you are stuck in a dispute over your divorce, our West Bend contested divorce attorneys are ready to help. As trial-tested and solutions-oriented litigators, we will protect your rights.
How Our West Bend Divorce Attorneys Can Help
Divorce can be stressful, confusing, and downright exhausting. At Karp & Iancu, S.C., we have more than three decades developing strategies to make divorce easier for our clients. With a focus on protecting your rights and helping you find the solution that is best suited for you and your family, you can rely on our legal team. Among other things, our West Bend divorce lawyers are prepared to:
- Listen to your story, answer questions, and explain the next steps in the divorce process;
- Gather all of the financial documents, records, and other information you will need;
- Handle all of the divorce paperwork with an attention to the small details, we can even assist with getting restraining orders if necessary;
- Represent you in divorce settlement negotiations—including in mediation; and
- Devise a personalized legal strategy designed to get you the best outcome.
When you partner with a divorce attorney at Karp & Iancu, you get: