If you have any specific questions or concerns about a family law dispute, we are more than ready to help. For a fully confidential initial appointment with an experienced Wisconsin family lawyer, please call our West Bend law office at (414) 453-0800 or send us a message directly through our website.
An Overview of Family Law Services We Provide in West Bend, Wisconsin
With more than 10,000 cases successfully handled in Wisconsin, Karp & Iancu, S.C. is an award-winning leader in family law. No matter the specific circumstances you are currently going through, our compassionate West Bend family lawyers are ready to help you find the right answer. We put in the attention to detail needed to develop a customized legal strategy that works best for your specific situation. Along with other types of family law cases, our West Bend attorneys have experience with:
- Uncontested Divorce: Most divorces in Wisconsin are resolved by the parties outside of the courtroom. You and your spouse can settle your divorce on uncontested, no-fault grounds. Our West Bend uncontested divorce attorneys can help you navigate the process.
- Contested Divorce: Are you locked in a divorce dispute with an uncooperative spouse? It is imperative that you take immediate action to protect your rights. Our West Bend contested divorce lawyers are trial-tested advocates. We are ready to help you build the right strategy.
- Property Division: Before a divorce can be finalized in Wisconsin, a couple’s property, assets, and debts must be addressed. Wisconsin is a community property state—meaning marital property is equally owned by each party. Though, spouses retain their full ownership over separate (non-marital) property. If you have any questions about your rights, our West Bend property division attorney can help.
- Prenuptial Agreements: Prenuptial agreements are enforceable in Wisconsin—but only if certain legal criteria are satisfied. At Karp & Iancu, S.C., our West Bend prenuptial agreement lawyer has the skills and experience to draft, review, negotiate, and litigate prenups.
- Alimony: Alimony (spousal support, spousal maintenance) is a payment made from one spouse to the other while the divorce is pending and/or after it is finalized. In Wisconsin, alimony is not awarded in every divorce case. However, alimony can be awarded when deemed appropriate given the specific circumstances. If you have questions about Wisconsin law or your case, contact our West Bend alimony attorney for help.
- Child Custody: Divorce or separation can be very difficult for parents of young children. We represent parents in child custody and visitation cases. Wisconsin uses the best interests of the child standard. If a dispute over custody or visitation arises, a family court will resolve the matter with consideration to what is best for the child’s health and well-being. Call our West Bend child custody lawyer for immediate help with your case.
- Child Support: Non-custodial parents in Wisconsin have a legal duty to provide ongoing support for their children. Wisconsin has standardized child support guidelines in place. That being said, it is possible to deviate from the guidelines with good cause. Our West Bend family law attorney handles all types of child support cases.
- Paternity: Paternity is the basis of a father’s parental right (and parental responsibilities) in Wisconsin. Without paternity, a man has no ability to seek child custody or child visitation. Likewise, a man cannot be ordered to pay child support unless paternity has been established. Our West Bend family lawyers represent both fathers and mothers in paternity cases. If you have any questions about proving paternity in West Bend, we can help.
- Restraining Orders: Unfortunately, domestic violence and family abuse remains a serious area of concern in Wisconsin and throughout the United States. Wisconsin has a specialized process to allow victims of abuse to seek a restraining order (order of protection) against the perpetrator. These matters are complex and should be handled with the appropriate level of care and diligence. Call our West Bend family law restraining order attorney for guidance and support.
- Family Law Appeals: Did you receive an unfavorable judgment in a family law case? If so, you are not necessarily out of options. Courts sometimes make errors. You have the right to appeal most family law decisions. Appeals are highly time sensitive. You must act quickly. Further, the appellate law process is subject to specialized rules, regulations, and procedures. You need a qualified West Bend family law appeals attorney on your side.
Why Work With the West Bend Family Law Attorneys at Karp & Iancu
Family issues should always be handled with the highest level of care and sensitivity. At Karp & Iancu, S.C., we have handled over 10,000 family law cases in Wisconsin. You deserve an attorney who will put in the time and resources to handle your family law issue the right way. When you reach out to our West Bend office, you will connect with a Wisconsin family lawyer who can:
- Conduct a comprehensive, confidential review and evaluation of your case;
- Answer questions, explain your rights/responsibilities, and discuss the next steps;
- Thoroughly investigate the matter—gathering and organizing relevant evidence;
- Handle legal paperwork and represent you in settlement negotiations; and
- Take all necessary steps to protect your rights and secure the best result.