Start live chat with our team?
Call Now (414) 453-0800
David Iancu and his staff are top notch professionals. I would recommend David Iancu to anyone who is going through a divorce.
Harmony R.
David is a great listener and very sharp. Most of all, he knows the law and examines every opportunity to defend his client.
Talyia C.
I can't say enough about David's attentive demeanor through the highs and lows associated with complex divorce issues.
Laurence S.
contact us Free & Confidential Consultation
The results you need.

What Are Grounds for Divorce in Wisconsin?

When you’re considering a divorce in Wisconsin, you may be concerned about the reasons for your divorce. You want to ensure that your divorce will be accepted and finalized. Unfortunately, that worry may make it difficult to seek out your divorce.

You might struggle to get started when you’re asking, “What are grounds for divorce in Wisconsin?” Fortunately, you’ll have a chance to understand your case and take action with help from an attorney from Karp & Iancu, SC. Seek out the help you need when you’re considering a divorce and aren’t sure where to begin.

Irretrievable Breakdown of Marriage

When you’re seeking out a divorce, you’ll first find that Wisconsin is a no-fault state for divorce. For you, that means you don’t need a specific reason for a divorce. Instead, you’ll simply state that there was an irretrievable breakdown of marriage.

In fact, this is the only option for Wisconsin residents seeking a divorce. While fault states may require a reason, such as infidelity or abuse, Wisconsin doesn’t allow other reasons to be brought forward. While you may include these details in your case to help you gain custody, for example, they won’t be the sole grounds for divorce.

Fortunately, no-fault states tend to make it easier to seek a divorce. You don’t need to have specific reasons to divorce your spouse. Instead, you’ll need to simply show your marriage is irretrievably broken.

Your Spouse Can Delay the Divorce

However, while you don’t need grounds to divorce your spouse, your spouse can delay the proceedings. That means that your divorce could be stretched out for longer than you hoped. If you’re concerned that your spouse may take such action, reach out to a lawyer for help with your case.

If your spouse disputes that your marriage is irretrievably broken, you may need to prove your claim. For example, you may need to provide evidence that you haven’t lived together in the past year. If you don’t have this evidence, however, the judge may decide to grant an extension and recommend counseling.

Fortunately, this adjournment isn’t a permanent answer. The case will be adjourned for sixty days, after which you may return and move forward with the proceedings.

Seek Help for Your Wisconsin Divorce

If you’re seeking a divorce, you might be unsure where to start. You’re struggling to identify a reason for your divorce that you think the court will recognize, and you’re wondering, “What are grounds for divorce in Wisconsin?” Fortunately, divorce is relatively simple in Wisconsin. You’ll just need to prove that there’s not enough interest between you and your spouse to save the marriage.

However, your divorce proceedings don’t end there. You’ll need answers for more than your grounds for a divorce. Fortunately, your lawyer from Karp & Iancu, SC can help you with this process. We’ll guide you through your divorce process, making sure you understand the laws and handle your divorce appropriately.

If you’re ready to fight back, reach out for help before you continue. Contact us by calling 414-453-0800 or by filling out the online form below.

CONTACT US FOR A Free Consultation


or Call (414) 453-0800
Location &contact
MAIN OFFICE 933 N Mayfair Rd, Suite 300 MILWAUKEE, WI 53226
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY 500 West Silver Spring Dr, Suite K-200 GLENDALE, WI 53217
PHONE (414) 453-0800 FAX (414) 453-8282
Connect With Us
  • Facebook Icon
  • Twitter Icon
  • Youtube Icon
  • linked-in Icon
Request a free consultation Request a free consultation


  • no pressure
  • no hidden fees
or Call (414) 453-0800