Home / Practice Overview / Child Support

Milwaukee Child Support Lawyers

Helping you get the support your family needs in Milwaukee County and Waukesha County

For custodial parents, obtaining child support is important for the welfare of their children. At Karp & Iancu, S.C., we have extensive experience handling all types of family law matters, including child custody and child support. The amount of Milwaukee child support a non-custodial parent must pay is calculated on a case-by-case basis.

However, during a divorce, the following factors typically have some bearing on the total amount of child support owed:

  • The number of minor children
  • The income of each parent
  • The parent’s physical placement time with their children

As a result, each month, the paying parent must contribute a certain percentage of his or her gross income toward supporting his or her children. This percentage varies based on the number of children:

  • 17 percent of the paying parent’s income for one child
  • 25  percent of the paying parent’s income for two children
  • 29 percent of the paying parent’s income for three children
  • 31 percent of the paying parent’s income for four children

Penalties for failing to pay child support

Our Milwaukee child support attorneys have substantial experience representing parents seeking child support. Additionally, our family law attorneys have handled cases in which a non-custodial parent fails to pay child support. If this happens to you, contact us immediately.

Following are some of the penalties a parent faces if he or she refuses to pay child support:

  • If past-due child payments reach $500, an automatic lien is placed on the non-custodial parent’s real property, including any houses or automobiles he or she might own. This can affect his or her credit and ability to obtain future loans.
  • The child support agency may request that any professional licenses of the paying parent be suspended.
  • If past-due child support payments reach $1,000, the child support agency may seize the bank accounts of the non-custodial parent.

In addition to the above actions, the court may hold the parent who fails to pay child support in contempt of court.

Experienced child support attorneys in Milwaukee

Karp & Iancu, S.C. is proud to assist parents with their child support issues. Our practice is focused in Milwaukee County and Waukesha County, but we stand ready to represent injury victims and family members throughout Wisconsin. Call us at 414-453-0800 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation.


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form