Start live chat with our team?
Call Now (414) 453-0800
David Iancu and his staff are top notch professionals. I would recommend David Iancu to anyone who is going through a divorce.
Harmony R.
David is a great listener and very sharp. Most of all, he knows the law and examines every opportunity to defend his client.
Talyia C.
I can't say enough about David's attentive demeanor through the highs and lows associated with complex divorce issues.
Laurence S.
contact us Free & Confidential Consultation
The results you need.

Family Law Attorneys in Milwaukee

When you’re facing a divorce, separation, or custody battle, you’re facing an emotional and difficult time for yourself and for your family. Even when you and your spouse are on the same page, a divorce is never easy. You’re in an emotional place, and you’re struggling to get the fair treatment you need for yourself and your children. It can be exhausting, and if you’re fighting back alone, your case may not end fairly.

Our lawyers at Karp & Iancu understand how difficult a divorce or even a separation can be, and we’ll help you get the fair treatment you deserve.

Family Law Mediation or Litigation?

Your first decision will be how to approach your case. A divorce isn’t an easy time for you or your spouse. Sometimes parties are unwilling to work together peacefully to settle the divorce details. In these cases, you might be considering litigation.

When you think of divorce proceedings, you likely think about family lawyers arguing for a fair division on behalf of their client. If you’re already struggling to get the fair amount you deserve in your divorce, you may need an attorney who can fight for you and the fair division you deserve.

On the other hand, you and your spouse may be looking to avoid a difficult divorce altogether. Perhaps you’re trying to part on good terms with one another. During mediation, you and your spouse will contact a lawyer to mediate any possible disputes and help the two of you come to an agreement. That means you’ll compromise and make decisions that can leave you both feeling satisfied and as though your concerns were heard.

Custody Agreements in Milwaukee

Whether you choose family law mediation or litigation, one of the first things on your mind may be your children. You’ll need to decide who they will live with before the divorce is finalized and sometimes make a temporary order for your child’s custody during the divorce process.

There are two major types of custody situations: sole and joint custody. When a parent has sole custody of a child, that parent has physical custody of the child, in that the child lives only with that parent. While the parents may share legal custody, which includes access to the child’s school and medical records, sole custody means that the child lives with only one parent.

Joint custody gives custody to both parents, which will be shared based on an agreed-upon time schedule. For example, you may be seeking joint custody, but your spouse lives closer to the child’s school than you do. If agreed on, you might have custody on the weekends, but your spouse will have custody during the school week.

Child Support Guidelines in Wisconsin

Typically, one parent (the custodial parent) has more of the responsibility for the child than the noncustodial parent. Since the responsibility for the child is rarely split equally, you may need to make a child support agreement as well.

Family law in Wisconsin dictates that child support is typically decided by how many children you have. If you only have one child, your child support will be 17 percent of your spouse’s income. That percentage will grow depending on the number of children, topping out at 34 percent for five or more children.

Enforcing Child Support Rules in Milwaukee

Unfortunately, your spouse may not want to pay the child support they owe. There may be concerns about having the money to do so, or they may simply refuse to pay. When your former spouse does that, you may feel like you don’t have any options.

The agencies that enforce child support do have options for you. Some of the following penalties may affect your former spouse if they refuse to pay:

  • Liens on their property
  • Fines and interest on the unpaid amount
  • License suspension (driver’s license and/or recreational licenses)

If you and your spouse made a child support agreement, and they’re not keeping up their end, you may be eligible to fight back. Reach out to Karp & Iancu to help before you file, and we’ll review your child support agreement as well as what you’re able to do.

Family Law FAQ

When dealing with family law, you might have questions that you’re struggling to get answers to. Every family is unique so every proceeding may be different. Unfortunately, that can make it difficult to get the answers you need.

Before determining the best next step for you, here are some frequently asked questions to make sure you’re on the right track. If you’d like to schedule a free consultation to discuss some of your questions with a lawyer, feel free to fill out the form at the bottom of the page, or give us a call.

If I’m considering a divorce in Milwaukee, do I need my spouse’s agreement?

Because Wisconsin is a no-fault state for divorce, you don’t need your spouse to sign the papers with you. Since a marriage shouldn’t be between any unwilling partners, you’ll be able to file without showing proof of cause, like abuse or adultery. Instead of filing together, you’ll need to simply serve the papers to your spouse, who will have a limited time to complete the paperwork and meet for a hearing.

Who pays for child support under Wisconsin family law?

When you and your spouse divorce, your child is a critical part of the proceedings, and their well-being should be considered. As such, you’ll need to know who’s responsible for paying for their care. Generally, the noncustodial parent will be responsible for paying child support for any children involved.

As a grandparent in Milwaukee, do I have visitation rights if my grandchild’s parents divorce?

As a grandparent, you may not have the same parental rights as the parents which may make it difficult to see your grandchild when the parents end their marriage. Fortunately, you may have a right to see your grandchildren, even if it’s against the parents’ wishes. You’ll need to file a petition and show that you do have a right to see your grandchild.

What’s Next?

Dealing with a family dispute can be tough, whether that’s a separation or divorce, and it can be even worse when things have gotten violent. It can be confusing and complex, and it can feel like you’re not getting the help and attention you need during this difficult time.

Our attorneys can help you get the property you deserve and the best situation for your children. Your rights should be protected, and we can make sure that those rights are respected.

1. How to set up a no-pressure, no cost attorney consultation

Reach out to us today by giving us a call or fill out the form at the bottom of this page to set up a free, one-hour consultation with one of our family law attorneys.

2. Learn more about our award-winning attorneys

When evaluating and deciding on the right family law attorney in the Greater Milwaukee Area, it’s important to find one who is transparent, compassionate, and knowledgeable; traits that all of our attorneys value

3. Looking for a Personal Injury Lawyer?

Learn more about our personal injury cases or book an hour with our personal injury lawyer on staff.

CONTACT US FOR A Free Consultation


or Call (414) 453-0800
Location &contact

Milwaukee/Tosa – 933 N Mayfair Rd, Suite 300, Milwaukee, WI 53226

(414) 928-2861

Glendale (by Appt) – 500 West Silver Spring Dr, Suite K-200, Glendale, WI 53217

(414) 240-1835

Downtown Milwaukee (by Appt) – 1433 N Water St, Floor 4 – Suite 400, Milwaukee, WI 53202

(414) 485-0191

Menomonee Falls (by Appt) – 11414 W Park Pl – Suite 202, Milwaukee, WI 53224

(414) 310-7075

Brookfield (by appt) – 200 S. Executive Drive, Suite 101, Brookfield, WI 53005

(262) 244-5109

Waukesha (by appt) – N19 W24400 Riverwood Dr Suite 350, Waukesha, WI 53188

(262) 226-4323
PHONE (414) 453-0800 FAX (414) 453-8282
Connect With Us
  • Facebook Icon
  • Twitter Icon
  • Youtube Icon
  • linked-in Icon
Request a free consultation Request a free consultation


  • no pressure
  • no hidden fees
or Call (414) 453-0800