Start live chat with our team?
Call Now (414) 453-0800
David Iancu and his staff are top notch professionals. I would recommend David Iancu to anyone who is going through a divorce.
Harmony R.
David is a great listener and very sharp. Most of all, he knows the law and examines every opportunity to defend his client.
Talyia C.
I can't say enough about David's attentive demeanor through the highs and lows associated with complex divorce issues.
Laurence S.
contact us Free & Confidential Consultation
The results you need.

Making a Post-Divorce Modification

If you need to make modifications to your divorce decree due to financial reasons, a need to change custody, child support, or something else, reach out to our attorneys at Karp & Iancu today for help with this process.

When you and your spouse settled your divorce, your divorce decree might have been exactly right for your situation. Unfortunately, that might not have stayed true over time. If your situation has changed, your divorce decree may need to change with it.

If you’re struggling to make that change, speak to one of our attorneys and we can help you get your divorce decree modified to help you where you’re at now.

Changes in Circumstances

Typically, a divorce decree is only changed when your circumstances change. For example, you might need your expected child support payments lowered because you lost your job or now receive less pay. Because you’re simply unable to support yourself and make your payments, you may need the amount of child support reconsidered.

In some cases, the custodial parent’s ability to take care of their children may have changed. For example, a long-term illness may make it impossible for them to care for the children, and now you may be seeking custody of the children in their place.

Typically, if something has changed that makes your divorce decree outdated, or if you’re unable to uphold your end of the agreement, a post-divorce modification should be allowed. Wisconsin court laws cover situations like yours, so you should be able to change your divorce agreement to take care of you and your family.

The Post-Divorce Modification Process

The options you have for a post-divorce modification will depend on how much time has passed since your divorce and how much the circumstances surrounding it have changed. For example, if less than two years have passed since your divorce, you can request a modification if you believe your children are endangered physically or emotionally.

If you have evidence that your children are being abused by the custodial parent, you and your lawyer may bring that evidence before a judge. The judge will then decide whether to grant the motion and change the custody ruling for your case.

If more than two years have passed, however, your financial situation could have changed drastically. Wisconsin law accounts for that, so you’ll be able to change things like your child support payments. In these cases, your lawyer will help you file the right forms and prepare the evidence that your monetary situation has changed, which will all be presented to the judge.

Reach Out To Us For Help Making a Post-Divorce Modification

When something about your situation changes after your divorce is settled, you may need your divorce agreement to change with it. Unfortunately, changing an official agreement isn’t always easy. You may need help getting the approval of a judge.

Fortunately, our lawyers have been working with clients for over 45 years and we can help you take action. Our attorneys understand that a motion to change your divorce agreement can be complicated, but we may be able to simplify the process for you. By accepting one of our consultations, you’ll have a chance to discuss your options with an attorney who can talk about your options.To get started, give us a call or fill out the form below.

CONTACT US FOR A Free Consultation


or Call (414) 453-0800
Location &contact

Milwaukee/Tosa – 933 N Mayfair Rd, Suite 300, Milwaukee, WI 53226

(414) 928-2861

Fox Point (by Appt) – 8651 N. Port Washington Rd. Suite A, Fox Point, WI 53217

(414) 240-1835

Downtown Milwaukee (by Appt) – 1433 N Water St, Floor 4 – Suite 428, Milwaukee, WI 53202

(414) 485-0191

Menomonee Falls (by Appt) – 11414 W Park Pl – Suite 202, Milwaukee, WI 53224

(414) 310-7075

Brookfield (by appt) – 200 S. Executive Drive, Suite 101, Brookfield, WI 53005

(262) 244-5109

Waukesha (by appt) – N19 W24400 Riverwood Dr Suite 350, Waukesha, WI 53188

(262) 226-4323
PHONE (414) 453-0800 FAX (414) 453-8282
Connect With Us
  • Facebook Icon
  • Twitter Icon
  • Youtube Icon
  • linked-in Icon
Request a free consultation Request a free consultation


  • no pressure
  • no hidden fees
or Call (414) 453-0800