Call Now (414) 453-0800
David Iancu and his staff are top notch professionals. I would recommend David Iancu to anyone who is going through a divorce.
Harmony R.
David is a great listener and very sharp. Most of all, he knows the law and examines every opportunity to defend his client.
Talyia C.
I can't say enough about David's attentive demeanor through the highs and lows associated with complex divorce issues.
Laurence S.
contact us Free & Confidential Consultation
The results you need.

Post-Divorce Modification

Your divorce agreement should meet all your needs, but over time, your needs may change. A post-divorce modification may be necessary to maintain your quality of life and protect your children. If this is the case, contact out attorneys at Karp & Iancu for help with this process.

What is Post-Divorce Modification?

A post-divorce modification is when an ex-spouse has a change in circumstance and is looking to change a previously agreed upon order after the divorce has been concluded and all final orders have been finalized. If you have gone through a major life change since your divorce, a change to the originally decree may be necessary.  

Post-Divorce Circumstances Can Change

Following a divorce, you may find that your situation is drastically different from where you started. For example, you may not have custody, and now you suspect that your ex-spouse is putting your children in harmful or unhealthy situations. In other cases, you may have lost your job, making alimony payments difficult or impossible.

When this happens, you’ll be able to file and describe your change of circumstances. Wisconsin judges understand that life can change quickly, leading to changes in your paperwork.

Keep in mind, though, that some changes may require evidence of serious problems if closely following the divorce. Specifically, you may be seeking a custody change only two years after the divorce. In these cases, you’ll need to show that extreme or unusual circumstances are happening.

Wisconsin’s Divorce Modification Process

Once you’ve determined the problem and you’re ready to take your case to court, you’ll first need to gather evidence that you’re in need of a modification. For example, if you’re unable to pay alimony or child support, you may need proof that you lost your job or were demoted.

Once you’re ready, you’ll need to file a petition to have your agreement modified. You’ll present your evidence, and the court will make another decision on your case. From there, your agreement may be modified to fit your new circumstances.

Child support is an exception because you’ll be able to go through the child support agency instead. You’ll contact them, not the courthouse, and provide evidence that you need your support order changed. Once they review your child support modification request, they’ll decide whether to change your agreement not.

Contact Us Today

When your divorce agreement is no longer sustainable, it can be tough to overcome your situation. Fortunately, you don’t have to deal with costly payments or difficult family situations alone. Instead, seek out a lawyer from Karp & Iancu.

We understand that not every divorce decision meets your needs. That’s why we’ll consult with you before you file your petition, ensuring you have the solid case you need. When you’re ready to talk to your Milwaukee post-divorce modification lawyer, contact us by calling 414-453-0800 or by completing the online form below.

CONTACT US FOR A Free Consultation


or Call (414) 453-0800
Location &contact

Milwaukee/Tosa – 933 N Mayfair Rd, Suite 300, Milwaukee, WI 53226

Fox Point – 8651 N. Port Washington Rd. Suite A, Fox Point, WI 53217

Downtown Milwaukee – 1433 N Water St, Floor 4 – Suite 428, Milwaukee, WI 53202

Menomonee Falls – 11414 W Park Pl – Suite 202, Milwaukee, WI 53224

Brookfield – 200 S. Executive Drive, Suite 101, Brookfield, WI 53005

Waukesha – N19 W24400 Riverwood Dr Suite 350, Waukesha, WI 53188

Kenosha – 1213 55th Street Suite 101 Kenosha, WI 53140

Appleton – 5497 W Waterford Ln Suite E Appleton, WI 54913

West Bend18 E Washington St. Suite B West Bend, WI 53090

Madison – 811 E Washington Ave. Suite 418, Madison, WI 53703

PHONE (414) 453-0800 FAX (414) 453-8282
Connect With Us
  • Facebook Icon
  • Youtube Icon
  • linked-in Icon
Request a free consultation Request a free consultation


  • no pressure
  • no hidden fees

or Call (414) 453-0800