How Do I Change My Divorce Agreement in Wisconsin?

Learn about divorce agreement changes from award-winning Wisconsin family law attorneys

Life changes, so it’s natural for divorce agreements to change too. Learn the details of how to modify a divorce agreement in Wisconsin below.

Talk to a lawyer 100% Confidential

Changing a divorce agreement in Wisconsin

content reviewed by attorney David Iancu Legally reviewed for accuracy by Attorney David Iancu

The information provided does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice. Talk to a lawyer today for legal advice

When you’re in the middle of a divorce, your current divorce agreement might sound fine at first. Unfortunately, you might realize over time that your current agreement is no longer working. In these cases, you may be considering your options for changing things to better suit your situation.

That now leaves you wondering one thing: How do I change my divorce agreement in Wisconsin? Fortunately, you have options available to you. Your divorce attorney at Karp & Iancu, S. C. can give you the guidance you need to get started.

Filing a Petition

First, it’s best to start by discussing your case with a Wisconsin attorney. They can help you determine what you need for your divorce case.

For example, many people find that their child support agreement doesn’t work for them some time after making the agreement. In other cases, you may want more time with your children, or, if you’ve remarried, you and your new spouse may be considering stepchild adoption.

All these life changes can be addressed in the courtroom. Typically, your attorney can help you file the right petition and paperwork, gather evidence of your life changes, and defend your needs in the courtroom. The court can then review your case and whether there should be changes made before approving or denying the change to your divorce agreement.

Talk to a Divorce Attorney


Talk to a lawyer

If you're ready to learn whether or not a change in the terms of your original divorce settlement is possible, schedule a confidential consultation with us or complete the form below.


Build evidence & case

We'll collect evidence of any financial or child custody-related changes and why that necessitates a settlement modification.


File a petition with the court

Submitting a legal form to modify a divorce settlement is hassle-free if you and your ex-spouse can agree before trial. If that isn't possible, we'll be ready to defend your needs in the courtroom.

Requirements to Change Your Divorce Agreement

When you’re ready to make changes to your divorce agreement, though, you may need to discuss why you’re seeking those changes. You and your lawyer may talk about your situation and whether your agreement can be changed.

For example, let’s say you’re seeking a change in your child support agreement. You made the agreement based on your income at the time. However, circumstances may have changed since then. You may have had a change in your income because you took a lower-paying position, for example, or you may have lost your job completely. Any major change to your income may warrant a change to your support agreement.

The key requirement is evidence that your life situation has changed significantly. If you’re not sure that your life has changed enough to warrant a change in your agreement, your lawyer can help you get the answers you need about your family law case.

Talk to a Wisconsin Lawyer about Your Divorce Agreement

If you’re struggling with your current divorce agreement, it may be time for a change. Your agreement should be fair for you and your spouse. If situations change and your former agreement is no longer fair, it may be time for you to change that agreement.

However, that doesn’t make it easy. You might find yourself still asking questions, like, “How do I change my divorce agreement in Wisconsin?” While each issue may be faced differently, they can all be easier with the help of an attorney from Karp & Iancu, S.C.

If you’re not sure where to start, your attorney can give you the guidance you need to face your situation and get the answers you need, starting with a consultation about your case. When you’re ready, give us a call at 414-453-0800 or complete the online form below.

We help with non-divorce related legally issues too

No one knows how to make a divorce outcome fairer and favorable to you and your family. We've also won awards for cases involving the following practice areas of family law in Wisconsin:

Alimony & Maintenance

Marriage isn’t always equal—and neither is divorce. You may have made unequal caretaking or financial contributions to the family. We will help you fight to make sure those contributions are acknowledged and compensated.

More about alimony

Child Custody & Visitation

Learn whether sole custody or joint custody is best for your children, and find a visitation schedule that will work for your family.

More about child custody

Child Relocation

Do you have questions about where you can relocate your children in the state of Wisconsin? We can help you understand the laws surrounding relocating a child.

More about child relocation

Child Support

When you’re a parent going through a divorce, your first concern is likely your children. Our lawyers are experts in guiding clients through the options available. We understand your top priority is making sure your children are taken care of.

More about child support

Property & Assets

When you’re facing a division of marital property, it can be tough to ensure you’ll get a fair share of the assets. We’ll work with you to determine what is and is not part of the marital estate and will help you claim what is rightfully yours.

More about assets


Divorce is difficult & exhausting, but it's not devastating or complicated with the right attorneys on your side.

Our Approach to Divorce

Legal Separation

An alternative to divorce that still allows you to define your rights to your children and finances while claiming your independence.

More about legal separation

Military Divorce

We've been helping clients navigate the complex Wisconsin military divorce laws for decades.

More about military divorce


Whether paternity is established by acknowledgement or only after genetic tests, we are here to help you through the process from start to finish.

More about paternity

Meet our award-winning Wisconsin family law & divorce attorneys

Featured Review of Karp & Iancu by Douglas T. on Google

"The representation by Karp & Iancu that I received was very helpful to guide me through the difficult passage from marriage to divorce. I would highly recommend retaining Karp & Iancu as they were able to provide highly valuable information and guidance to reach an amicable settlement with my spouse."

We’re Proud of Our 5.0 Rating Across 400+ Reviews on Google