Call Now (414) 453-0800
David Iancu and his staff are top notch professionals. I would recommend David Iancu to anyone who is going through a divorce.
Harmony R.
David is a great listener and very sharp. Most of all, he knows the law and examines every opportunity to defend his client.
Talyia C.
I can't say enough about David's attentive demeanor through the highs and lows associated with complex divorce issues.
Laurence S.
contact us Free & Confidential Consultation
The results you need.

When does child support end in Wisconsin?

When you are under a support obligation for little children, it seems as though that obligation for support may never go away. At some point though, a parent no longer is obligated to pay support. When, under Wisconsin law does that duty end?

The answer lies in sec. 767.511 (4) and reads as follows; “AGE OF CHILD ELIGIBLE FOR SUPPORT. The court shall order either party or both to pay for the support of any child of the parties who is less than 18 years old, or any child of the parties who is less than 19 years old if the child is pursuing an accredited course of instruction leading to the acquisition of a high school diploma or its equivalent.”

Breaking the statute apart for a moment, there is no question that ordinarily a child support obligation ends as each child reaches 18, where you are recognized as being an adult. The only way the obligation can extend beyond the 18th birthday, is where the child is still in high school or trying to obtain the equivalent of their high school degree. If that is the case, a parent, under Wisconsin law, can still be required to support that child. The absolute ending point, whether they are still in school or not though is no later than the 19th birthday.

If they are 18 and are in college but not 19, there is no child support obligation. If they are 18 and dropped out of high school, there is no child support obligation. If they are past 19 and haven’t graduated high school, there is no child support obligation. If the parent receiving child support doesn’t have the child living with them at home, but the child is in someone else’s care, it may affect the duty to pay child support. If they are 17 and not going to high school, there remains a child support obligation.

If you have questions about child support in the state of Wisconsin, contact the experienced family lawyers at Karp & Iancu, S.C. today.

CONTACT US FOR A Free Consultation


or Call (414) 453-0800
Location &contact

Milwaukee/Tosa – 933 N Mayfair Rd, Suite 300, Milwaukee, WI 53226

Fox Point – 8651 N. Port Washington Rd. Suite A, Fox Point, WI 53217

Downtown Milwaukee – 1433 N Water St, Floor 4 – Suite 428, Milwaukee, WI 53202

Menomonee Falls – 11414 W Park Pl – Suite 202, Milwaukee, WI 53224

Brookfield – 200 S. Executive Drive, Suite 101, Brookfield, WI 53005

Waukesha – N19 W24400 Riverwood Dr Suite 350, Waukesha, WI 53188

Kenosha – 1213 55th Street Suite 101 Kenosha, WI 53140

Appleton – 5497 W Waterford Ln Suite E Appleton, WI 54913

West Bend18 E Washington St. Suite B West Bend, WI 53090

Madison – 811 E Washington Ave. Suite 418, Madison, WI 53703

PHONE (414) 453-0800 FAX (414) 453-8282
Connect With Us
  • Facebook Icon
  • Youtube Icon
  • linked-in Icon
Request a free consultation Request a free consultation


  • no pressure
  • no hidden fees

or Call (414) 453-0800