Call Now (414) 453-0800
David Iancu and his staff are top notch professionals. I would recommend David Iancu to anyone who is going through a divorce.
Harmony R.
David is a great listener and very sharp. Most of all, he knows the law and examines every opportunity to defend his client.
Talyia C.
I can't say enough about David's attentive demeanor through the highs and lows associated with complex divorce issues.
Laurence S.
contact us Free & Confidential Consultation
The results you need.

What happens when QDRO fees are not paid.

It is a frequent problem when completing a divorce case, that where there are retirement benefits to divide, one of the parties fails to pay their portion of the drafting fees, and the QDROs do not get completed. Completing the QDROs (qualified domestic relations orders) is essential for the protection of the non-employee spouse, to make sure that they receive their 50% share of those benefits. It is also important to have the QDRO’s drafted quickly, completed and filed with the plan administrator. So, what can you do when your former spouse, for weeks or  months on end, refuses to pay?

  1. The obvious answer is to file a contempt motion with the court. However, it may not be the quickest solution to the problem. Courts are busy, and they have a tendency not to give priority to post judgment matters. In some counties, you might be looking at a court date in 4 months to have your motion heard. That’s a long time to wait when time is of the essence of having the QDROs drafted. Certainly, filing a contempt motion and asking for costs and fees is the proper initial procedure where the other party has been court ordered to pay some or all of the preparation fees, and fails to cooperate with the process. It may not be the quickest remedy however.

2. Another possibility is to simply pay the processing fees yourself and than go after your ex spouse   later in with a contempt motion. If the processing fee, by example is $600 and you have paid your $300, paying the other half, will secure that the QDROs get timely processed. You can always file a contempt motion down the road and seek reimbursement of your $300 that you paid to have the QDROs completed, but this insures that the documents will be drafted timely.

Neither remedy is fair in the scheme of things. It is wrong that the other party doesn’t do what they are suppose to do, but where you are the non employee spouse and you want to insure that the QDROs get properly drafted to secure your 50% interest in the plans, you are forced to do one of these two procedures to make sure the documents are completed.

For more information about this article, contact Karp & Iancu, S.C.

CONTACT US FOR A Free Consultation


or Call (414) 453-0800
Location &contact

Milwaukee/Tosa – 933 N Mayfair Rd, Suite 300, Milwaukee, WI 53226

Fox Point – 8651 N. Port Washington Rd. Suite A, Fox Point, WI 53217

Downtown Milwaukee – 1433 N Water St, Floor 4 – Suite 428, Milwaukee, WI 53202

Menomonee Falls – 11414 W Park Pl – Suite 202, Milwaukee, WI 53224

Brookfield – 200 S. Executive Drive, Suite 101, Brookfield, WI 53005

Waukesha – N19 W24400 Riverwood Dr Suite 350, Waukesha, WI 53188

Kenosha – 1213 55th Street Suite 101 Kenosha, WI 53140

Appleton – 5497 W Waterford Ln Suite E Appleton, WI 54913

West Bend18 E Washington St. Suite B West Bend, WI 53090

Madison – 811 E Washington Ave. Suite 418, Madison, WI 53703

PHONE (414) 453-0800 FAX (414) 453-8282
Connect With Us
  • Facebook Icon
  • Youtube Icon
  • linked-in Icon
Request a free consultation Request a free consultation


  • no pressure
  • no hidden fees

or Call (414) 453-0800