Call Now (414) 453-0800
David Iancu and his staff are top notch professionals. I would recommend David Iancu to anyone who is going through a divorce.
Harmony R.
David is a great listener and very sharp. Most of all, he knows the law and examines every opportunity to defend his client.
Talyia C.
I can't say enough about David's attentive demeanor through the highs and lows associated with complex divorce issues.
Laurence S.
contact us Free & Confidential Consultation
The results you need.

Hold Open Child Support?

The other day on one of the “ask lawyer” internet web sites, someone posted a question of whether you could waive or hold open child support. The answer to the former is no and the answer to the latter is yes. You cannot waive child support pursuant to a martial settlement agreement, as it is a right that belongs to the child. However, parties can agree in their marital settlement agreement, to “hold open” child support, given an appropriate set of circumstances where it would make sense to do so. What would be those circumstances?

Take a situation where a couple share equal placement of their children and their incomes are similar. Under that situation, it certainly would be appropriate that the parties agree that neither is going to pay child support to the other. This is what is meant as “hold open support.” The parties would also presumably have to agree to split variable costs for the children, such as extra-curricular activities and other expenses for children beyond basic support.

Where it would not be appropriate would be a situation where one party may have primary placement of the children, make a considerable less amount of money than the non-custodial parent, but for whatever personal reasons they may have, decides not to pursue asking for child support, but simply wants it held open. Under that situation, the trial court very well may not approve a “hold open” on support, since the judge would want to see that the children are provided for financially and it would be unfair not to have the non-custodial parent paying support for the children.

How do you go about modifying a “hold open” support order. In the future, there would have to a showing that there has been a significant and substantial change in the financial circumstances of the parties, sufficient to give the court a reason to set a child support from a “hold open” support order. You cannot just change your mind about it, or decide maybe you struck a bad deal in the first place by not seeking child support. Under Wisconsin law, there is a presumption that after thirty three months from the last order there is a change sufficient for the court to modify child support.

Before agreeing to a “hold open” on child support, think through carefully to make sure you will have sufficient monies available for the financial support of your children and you are not being bullied or pressured into agreeing to such a court order that may have long term financial impact on you and your children’s well being, and you may find, is not that easy to change once you are divorced.

If you are going through a divorce and have questions on support, call one of the experienced family lawyers at Karp & Iancu, S.C. for a consultation.

CONTACT US FOR A Free Consultation


or Call (414) 453-0800
Location &contact

Milwaukee/Tosa – 933 N Mayfair Rd, Suite 300, Milwaukee, WI 53226

Fox Point – 8651 N. Port Washington Rd. Suite A, Fox Point, WI 53217

Downtown Milwaukee – 1433 N Water St, Floor 4 – Suite 428, Milwaukee, WI 53202

Menomonee Falls – 11414 W Park Pl – Suite 202, Milwaukee, WI 53224

Brookfield – 200 S. Executive Drive, Suite 101, Brookfield, WI 53005

Waukesha – N19 W24400 Riverwood Dr Suite 350, Waukesha, WI 53188

Kenosha – 1213 55th Street Suite 101 Kenosha, WI 53140

Appleton – 5497 W Waterford Ln Suite E Appleton, WI 54913

West Bend18 E Washington St. Suite B West Bend, WI 53090

Madison – 811 E Washington Ave. Suite 418, Madison, WI 53703

PHONE (414) 453-0800 FAX (414) 453-8282
Connect With Us
  • Facebook Icon
  • Youtube Icon
  • linked-in Icon
Request a free consultation Request a free consultation


  • no pressure
  • no hidden fees

or Call (414) 453-0800