Call Now (414) 453-0800
David Iancu and his staff are top notch professionals. I would recommend David Iancu to anyone who is going through a divorce.
Harmony R.
David is a great listener and very sharp. Most of all, he knows the law and examines every opportunity to defend his client.
Talyia C.
I can't say enough about David's attentive demeanor through the highs and lows associated with complex divorce issues.
Laurence S.
contact us Free & Confidential Consultation
The results you need.

Forgiveness of Child support Arrears

There have been a flurry of questions posed on some of the “ask lawyer” web sites like AVVO and LAWYERS.COM about whether a person can file a motion or request with the court to be relieved of their built up child support arrearages. The answer is no. The only person who can compromise or forgive the amount owed in back support is the person to whom the money is owed. Usually, that is the custodial parent, but in some cases, where the person may have been receiving governmental assistance or benefits, part of the arrearages may also be owed to the state. In other words, there will be child support arrearages accrued, and some of the money is owed to the parent and some of the money may be owed to the state.

The parent to whom the money is owed can agree to compromise that amount of money or waive it. The state to whom a portion of the money is owed, can agree to compromise that amount of money or waive it. The court cannot enter an order making the state or the parent to whom the money is owed to give it up or waive it. Any such waiver or compromise must be by agreement of all of the necessary parties.

The way these cases typically get resolved is by a stipulation and order where the person who owes the money, makes an offer in compromise to be forgiven any remaining balance of the arrearages owed. That is to be encouraged because it gets a portion of the money to the parent who is owed the money, waives the balance owed and stops the interest being charged on the unpaid balance.

For more information on this article, contact Karp & Iancu.

CONTACT US FOR A Free Consultation


or Call (414) 453-0800
Location &contact

Milwaukee/Tosa – 933 N Mayfair Rd, Suite 300, Milwaukee, WI 53226

Fox Point – 8651 N. Port Washington Rd. Suite A, Fox Point, WI 53217

Downtown Milwaukee – 1433 N Water St, Floor 4 – Suite 428, Milwaukee, WI 53202

Menomonee Falls – 11414 W Park Pl – Suite 202, Milwaukee, WI 53224

Brookfield – 200 S. Executive Drive, Suite 101, Brookfield, WI 53005

Waukesha – N19 W24400 Riverwood Dr Suite 350, Waukesha, WI 53188

Kenosha – 1213 55th Street Suite 101 Kenosha, WI 53140

Appleton – 5497 W Waterford Ln Suite E Appleton, WI 54913

West Bend18 E Washington St. Suite B West Bend, WI 53090

Madison – 811 E Washington Ave. Suite 418, Madison, WI 53703

PHONE (414) 453-0800 FAX (414) 453-8282
Connect With Us
  • Facebook Icon
  • Youtube Icon
  • linked-in Icon
Request a free consultation Request a free consultation


  • no pressure
  • no hidden fees

or Call (414) 453-0800