What to Do if Your Child is Involved in a School Bus Accident
When you see your child off to school in the morning, you assume he or she will be safe on the school bus. Licensed bus drivers and aides protect children from danger, helping them safely arrive at school. But what happens when your child is involved in a school bus accident? Who is responsible for your child’s medical bills, pain and suffering?
If the bus driver caused the accident, the school’s liability insurance is responsible for any damages suffered by the injured children. If another vehicle caused the accident, the driver’s insurance company is required to pay for the damages. To learn more, talk to a team of Milwaukee bus accident lawyers.
Immediately following a school bus accident involving your child, complete these steps:
- Seek medical attention — If your child is injured, go to the hospital or see a doctor right away. Do not delay treatment.
- Interview witnesses — Ask your child about what happened on the bus. Speak to the adults involved, including the driver, teachers and bus aides.
- Find out who is responsible — Discover who caused the accident. Write down the insurance information of the at-fault party.
- Contact the school — Let the school know about your child’s injuries. If the bus driver is to blame for the accident, be certain to get the insurance information of the school bus company.
- Hire an attorney — Contact a bus accident attorney in Milwaukee immediately after a bus accident. There are statutes of limitations on these types of cases, so meet with a lawyer as soon as possible. Insurance companies are known to give innocent parties the run-around to avoid payment. Having an attorney on your side is an invaluable asset.
You may be able to sue the responsible party for your child’s injuries. The Karp & Iancu, S.C. can help you obtain justice for your child if he or she has been in a school bus accident. We hold liable parties accountable for their actions.