Call Now (414) 453-0800
David Iancu and his staff are top notch professionals. I would recommend David Iancu to anyone who is going through a divorce.
Harmony R.
David is a great listener and very sharp. Most of all, he knows the law and examines every opportunity to defend his client.
Talyia C.
I can't say enough about David's attentive demeanor through the highs and lows associated with complex divorce issues.
Laurence S.
contact us Free & Confidential Consultation
The results you need.

What Is A Contested Divorce?

Contested Divorce: When Couples Can’t Agree

Couples often get divorced when they can agree only one on thing: that they don’t want to be married anymore. However, there are many decisions that go into the dissolution of a marriage. A contested divorce is a divorce in which the court makes these difficult decisions for you based on the evidence you present.

Karp & Iancu offers a transparent contested divorce package for Wisconsin couples, starting at $2,999.

Wisconsin is a no-fault divorce state

Wisconsin is a no-fault divorce state, which means there is no need to prove anyone did anything wrong to cause the end of a marriage. Only one party must testify under oath that the union is “irrevocably broken,” meaning there is no chance for reconciliation. Once that is established, if the couple can’t agree on the terms of the separation, the court steps in to do it for them.

Steps of a contested divorce in Wisconsin

A contested divorce will affect each step of the divorce process:

  • Marital settlement agreement: Disputing parties can complete all sections concerning areas of the divorce in which they agree. Leave disputed sections blank. If neither party agrees, or one refuses to participate, each party should fill out the form to indicate how they would like to see the issues resolved.
  • Proposed parenting plan: If both parties cannot agree on physical or legal custody of the children, a proposed parenting plan is required.
  • Pre-trial conference: If there are still disputed matters at the pre-trial conference, the judge may order mediation, assign both parties to Family Court Counseling Services, or assign a guardian ad litem to represent the best interests of the children.
  • Divorce/legal separation trial: Both parties must bring evidence with them to trial to help them make the case for their preferred outcome. They must also bring documents relating to all debts and assets. The judge will decide all remaining issues. Each task must be completed correctly in a predetermined time frame, and if you fail to meet the requirements, you risk your divorce case being dismissed and having to start over. This is why most individuals retain a Milwaukee family law attorney for a contested divorce case.

Get more information about pursuing a contested divorce in Wisconsin

If you are looking for cost information or undecided about whether a contested divorce is right for you, read more about the different divorce types and what they can mean for your family. If you are party to a contested divorce, you need an attorney who can represent your interests. Call Karp & Iancu to represent you.

CONTACT US FOR A Free Consultation


or Call (414) 453-0800
Location &contact

Milwaukee/Tosa – 933 N Mayfair Rd, Suite 300, Milwaukee, WI 53226

Fox Point – 8651 N. Port Washington Rd. Suite A, Fox Point, WI 53217

Downtown Milwaukee – 1433 N Water St, Floor 4 – Suite 428, Milwaukee, WI 53202

Menomonee Falls – 11414 W Park Pl – Suite 202, Milwaukee, WI 53224

Brookfield – 200 S. Executive Drive, Suite 101, Brookfield, WI 53005

Waukesha – N19 W24400 Riverwood Dr Suite 350, Waukesha, WI 53188

Kenosha – 1213 55th Street Suite 101 Kenosha, WI 53140

Appleton – 5497 W Waterford Ln Suite E Appleton, WI 54913

West Bend18 E Washington St. Suite B West Bend, WI 53090

Madison – 811 E Washington Ave. Suite 418, Madison, WI 53703

PHONE (414) 453-0800 FAX (414) 453-8282
Connect With Us
  • Facebook Icon
  • Youtube Icon
  • linked-in Icon
Request a free consultation Request a free consultation


  • no pressure
  • no hidden fees

or Call (414) 453-0800