Start live chat with our team?
Call Now (414) 453-0800
David Iancu and his staff are top notch professionals. I would recommend David Iancu to anyone who is going through a divorce.
Harmony R.
David is a great listener and very sharp. Most of all, he knows the law and examines every opportunity to defend his client.
Talyia C.
I can't say enough about David's attentive demeanor through the highs and lows associated with complex divorce issues.
Laurence S.
contact us Free & Confidential Consultation
The results you need.

Calculating Child Support in Wisconsin

When you part ways with a spouse, how to handle your children can get complicated. You’re struggling with the property division, custody rules, and other aspects of your case, and now you’re calculating child support in Wisconsin.

Fortunately, you don’t have to find what you owe for child support on your own. A lawyer from Karp & Iancu, S.C. can help you find what you should be paying for child support, as well as whether you may be paying more than necessary for your child support.

The Number of Children Decides the Amount

If you don’t have custody of your children, then the amount you pay will depend on the number of children in your family.

For one child in Wisconsin, your child support will be 17 percent of your earnings. So, if you have one child with your former spouse, and they kept custody of the child, you’ll pay 17 percent for the child’s support. That means if your monthly income is $2,500, you’ll pay $425 a month for child support in Wisconsin.

The more children you’ll be supporting, however, the more that amount rises. A fifth child or any number of children above five will raise the amount to 34 percent of your income, which is the maximum amount you can expect to pay for child support.

Your Custody Situation Affects Child Support

As mentioned, child support is generally paid by the parent who does not have custody of the child. Parents with joint custody, however, may be subjected to different child support rules.

If you are partially responsible for your child’s care, including feeding and clothing them, you may not have to pay the full amount of child support based on the guidelines above. Instead, your amount might be adjusted to meet the needs of your child.

For example, your child might spend a more even amount of time between homes, especially if you live close enough that they can stay at the same school. If your expenses are split exactly evenly, you may not have to pay child support at all.

While it’s rare that both parents spend exactly equal time, money, and energy on their child, you may need to look at the amount of time you spend with your child and your Wisconsin custody arrangement. The amount you pay could vary if you’re actively involved in your child’s life, so you may need an attorney to help you determine how much your child support should really be worth.

Know What You Owe for Support

Understanding how much you should pay for child support isn’t as simple as it could be. While there are specific guidelines for child support in Wisconsin, these guidelines can vary based on your unique situation and your custody rules.

As such, it’s best to have a child support lawyer from Karp & Iancu, S.C. on your side when you’re calculating child support in Wisconsin. Our attorneys understand how difficult custody battles and support calculations can be, so we’ll help you find the right answers for your case.

Struggling to determine your child support? Reach out for a consultation, where we’ll discuss your child support situation and what you should owe. Get started by calling 414-453-0800 or by completing the online form below.

CONTACT US FOR A Free Consultation


or Call (414) 453-0800
Location &contact
MAIN OFFICE 933 N Mayfair Rd, Suite 300 MILWAUKEE, WI 53226
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY 500 West Silver Spring Dr, Suite K-200 GLENDALE, WI 53217
PHONE (414) 453-0800 FAX (414) 453-8282
Connect With Us
  • Facebook Icon
  • Twitter Icon
  • Youtube Icon
  • linked-in Icon
Request a free consultation Request a free consultation


  • no pressure
  • no hidden fees
or Call (414) 453-0800