Call Now (414) 453-0800
David Iancu and his staff are top notch professionals. I would recommend David Iancu to anyone who is going through a divorce.
Harmony R.
David is a great listener and very sharp. Most of all, he knows the law and examines every opportunity to defend his client.
Talyia C.
I can't say enough about David's attentive demeanor through the highs and lows associated with complex divorce issues.
Laurence S.
contact us Free & Confidential Consultation
The results you need.

How to Modify a Child Custody Plan in Wisconsin

When you first agreed to your child custody plan at the time of your divorce, it might have sounded just right. It worked for you and your former spouse for some time. Unfortunately, things do change over time, which can affect your situation and your choices. 

Now, something has happened and you need to know how to modify a child custody plan in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, that can be tough to do on your own when you’re already worried about your children and their health and safety. 

At Karp & Iancu, we understand how important the right child custody agreement can be for you and your children. That’s why we’re ready to help you plan and modify your child custody arrangements. 

Timeline to Modify Custody in WI

When you’re seeking to modify a child custody agreement, the length of time since the custody agreement was made may matter. If less than two years have passed since the custody agreement was made, you may need evidence of danger or harm to your children before you can change the agreement. Often, parents simply need time to adjust to the plan. 

However, you might instead be concerned about your child. You may even suspect physical or emotional harm. If you suspect any of this, you may need to reach out to a Wisconsin lawyer for help. They can help you act now to gather evidence and prove that you need a modification to your custody plan now, not in the next two years. 

Proving Fitness of the Parents

If you believe your child is in danger, or if a change in the custody agreement is urgent and necessary, you’ll need to bring evidence of this to the court as soon as possible, as well as alerting the authorities to get your child out of that situation. Typically, that means providing evidence that the other parent is unfit or unable to care for the child. 

For example, if you believe your child is a victim of domestic violence, you might bring evidence of physical abuse, like bruises, scratches, and records of hospital visits. If your child has signs of emotional abuse, you may need help from a therapist or other professional to review your child’s mental and emotional state. 

Seek a Lawyer for Child Custody Modification 

When you’re concerned about your child’s safety, it can be tough to make sure they’re in the right environment. Getting sole custody, especially if two years haven’t yet passed, might seem impossible at first. 

Fortunately, you do have options to fight for custody, modify a custody plan, and seek out the help your children need. Your lawyers at Karp & Iancu understand how tough it can be to recover, and we can help you fight back for safe custody for your child. 

Ready to learn more about how to modify a child custody plan in Wisconsin? Reach out to a custody attorney for help. Give us a call at 414-453-0800 or fill out the following online form to set up your consultation and get started. 

CONTACT US FOR A Free Consultation


or Call (414) 453-0800
Location &contact

Milwaukee/Tosa – 933 N Mayfair Rd, Suite 300, Milwaukee, WI 53226

Fox Point – 8651 N. Port Washington Rd. Suite A, Fox Point, WI 53217

Downtown Milwaukee – 1433 N Water St, Floor 4 – Suite 428, Milwaukee, WI 53202

Menomonee Falls – 11414 W Park Pl – Suite 202, Milwaukee, WI 53224

Brookfield – 200 S. Executive Drive, Suite 101, Brookfield, WI 53005

Waukesha – N19 W24400 Riverwood Dr Suite 350, Waukesha, WI 53188

Kenosha – 1213 55th Street Suite 101 Kenosha, WI 53140

Appleton – 5497 W Waterford Ln Suite E Appleton, WI 54913

West Bend18 E Washington St. Suite B West Bend, WI 53090

Madison – 811 E Washington Ave. Suite 418, Madison, WI 53703

PHONE (414) 453-0800 FAX (414) 453-8282
Connect With Us
  • Facebook Icon
  • Youtube Icon
  • linked-in Icon
Request a free consultation Request a free consultation


  • no pressure
  • no hidden fees

or Call (414) 453-0800